Thursday, July 23, 2015

One step forward, two steps back

Well this week has been crazy. I became very lethargic Saturday and spent the whole day in bed sleeping. I hardly ate and this continued through Sunday. I almost managed to attend all three hours of church but had to slip out during the last half hour suddenly finding myself exhausted. Along with that I could only manage a few bites of dinner and for the first time in my life, even though I was at first hungry, could not finish my small cup of freshly made cookie dough. I couldn't even finish half of it.

Monday is when it really got fun. I suddenly got a massive headache that wrapped around my head, ran down to my ears and across my upper jaw. I lost depth perception in my vision. I grew scared as it didn't go away after closing my eyes and laying down. My dad took me to the ER where I was taken for CT scans. They were inconclusive. The doctor said he could see something on the right side of my brain, although as he couldn't get my head in the right position to confirm what it was, felt that it must be something from the scan itself. However he encouraged us to follow up on it with an MRI. My vision came back and I was discharged with the diagnosis of a migraine, although he was confused as to why one would show up at my age as I've never had one before. It finally went away after some medication and a nap. Again I couldn't eat much dinner and only a cookie and a half for dessert. Never before has my appetite been so restricted.
 
Tuesday I got some fluids and electrolytes to see if that was the cause, but it made no difference which was good according to my doctor, meaning that I'm not dehydrated. He also made a cocktail he makes for his cancer patients packed with nutrients and other good stuff that chemo takes from their bodies. It had to go in slow so that I wouldn't get sick. I slept in the back of the car on the way home.
By Tuesday night I'd grown tired of this and decided to eat all of my dinner no matter how sick it made me. After an entire hamburger and many fries around 5:30pm, I was confined mostly to the couch until nearly 11:30pm. I felt so ill.
Today I had another appointment with the University of Utah. They did an EKG to test my heart to make sure I could take some new medication as well as drawing more blood. That was fun... The nurse's hands were shaking so bad and she missed my vein the first time so I just started bleeding profusely. She had to bandage that arm and poke the other.
 
I do feel better today. That IV must be kicking in. The first day I haven't spent in bed sleeping and I've eaten a bit more. However I can't help but feel afraid with things like this as I don't understand what's happening to my body. The new medication should help food move through my stomach better and I hope my appetite comes back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment